My Top Five Favourite Books

I have read many books this year. Some were so amazing I could make a blog post on each one, and some were so awful, I could also do the same.
However, for the sake of sanity, I'll keep it narrowed down to one post.

I had decided to break up the list into indie and non-indie, but changed my mind. To me, I don't care who published the book, as long as it was engaging and kept me flipping the pages. The main character didn't have to be relatable as I've read so many books where the character is nothing like me. So what. If the writing is good, then I will keep reading. As long as the character grows, it's all good. :) One of the criteria for making my list, is whether or not I tell others about it. It could be random, or a face to face conversation where I tell someone they MUST read this book.

Based on my loose requirements, because I read for pure pleasure and escape, these are my top five. Only the number one is my ultimate favourite. The other four round out the top in no particular order.




The Fill-in Boyfriend - by Kasie West 

 This book came with a selection of others for school. Before I could display it for our book fair, I needed to see if it was appropriate for Div 1 and Div 2 kids. I deemed it more appropriate for Div 3 (grade 7 and up) as there's no language, or graphic scenes. That being said, I found it an easy, enjoyable read. It was light hearted and when I finished, I was satisfied. Sometimes, you just need to sink yourself into another time and place. 




Gemini- by Dylan Quinn

I'm not a reader of paranormal romance, but a friend asked if I could beta read her book. Of course I could, and I did it in a timely manner. In fact, I read it all in one sitting, stopping only to refill my coffee mug and check on my children (my hubs was home - they weren't neglected). Obviously, it was engaging and different, but not so off the wall I couldn't follow along. The characters were amazing, and although I couldn't relate to Zoe - as I'm no musician, Chayah (read it to find out what this means), or even in the ball park of beautiful, I enjoyed reading about her. And Cade - yep, swoony! The ending though - while completely satisfying, it made me want me. Good thing too. A sequel was released, and there is another in the works.



Me Before You - by JoJo Moyes
I decided to give this a go after passing by it in Costco so many times. When I heard it was being turned into a movie, I caved. It was a fairly easy read, and I read it in a couple of sittings. Not a fan of the main character Lou, as I found her really lacking a lot of ambition in her life, but I loved the story. The whole idea. It will make you think, and in some conversations with friends, we've disagreed on what we'd do if we were Will. But I hated - absolutely hated - the ending, however that's what made me add the book to my top five. I BAWLED. It brought out the emotions in me, which is a hallmark of a wonderful book. If you can make me cry, you've done well. :) My advice, don't read it without tissues nearby.



 Middle School - my Brother is a Big Fat Liar by James Patterson

This was another school book selection. In fact it was a Young Reader Choice Award nominee for 2016. A great grade 4 and up book. I laughed. A lot. To me it was funny, as I went to the same school as my father, who because some of the same teachers still taught there, remembered the last name and wondered how similiar I am to him. In a way, I could relate to Georgia - sort of - but I hope my father was never as destructive as Rafe. It was a great read. Took me less than two hours. After reading it, I realised there is a whole series on this, so I'm working my way through them. Great series. :)




The Martian by Andy Weir

Saw the movie, not knowing there was a book. Friend strongly encouraged me to read it, even though I'd already watched the movie. I did. Another I couldn't put down. Mind blown on how amazingly well written this book is. It's very science based (which I like) but totally readable. It's not so indepth that one doesn't get it. Andy Weir explained it all very well. There were so many scenes in the book that I really wish had been in the movie, as it would've explained things there better. Oh well. Guess that's just for the readers. It was an incredible story, and even though I knew how it ended, I still kept turning the pages. And something else that made me fall in love with this book, it was first written on WattPad, a chapter at a time. Then Andy self-published it and it took off like a rocket, where he got picked up by a publisher. :) Gives me hope that maybe someday, one of my books will 'take off'. Hey, a girl can dream.


What were some of your favourites this year?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Orbs

Duly Noted - Chapter 1

The original ending went like this...